This AIP Roasted Lamb with oven baked veggies recipe is perfect for a fall Sunday. The whole family will love it and have no idea that it’s a thyroid friendly, Auto Immune Protocol (AIP) compliant recipe. The recipe takes about an hour from start to finish, not bad considering its a roasted lamb dish. Generally, my recipes are about 30 minutes in total but this one is worth the extra time. If you are in the reintroduction phase of AIP, go ahead and rub some coriander and cumin powder on the lamb too before roasting in the cast iron pan.
A couple of Notes: I recommend parchment paper for the baking tray that holds the sweet potatoes and fennel. Aluminum foil is not a good choice for cooking with heat. And, try to use rock, sea or pink salt for this recipe and nothing that has been iodized. It’s not good for the thyroid!
AIP Roasted Lamb Recipe
AiP Roasted Lamb with Fennel and Sweet Potato
- cast iron pan
- 9"x12" baking dish
- baking tray
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 tspns pink Himalayan salt P.S. Avoid iodized table salt
- 2 tspns dried oregano for rubbing on lamb
- 2-3 bunches fresh greens like spinach or kale or similar
- 2-2.5 pounds lamb posterior or rear corner Bone in
- 2 fresh fennel bulbs
- 1 fresh sprig of rosemary
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
Browning the Lamb
- Heat cast iron pan
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees
- Place lamb in 9x12 baking dish and pat dry with a paper towel, soaking up all moisture
- Salt both sides liberally
- Coat and rub lamb with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Once cast iron pan is heated well, roast each side on lamb for 3 minutes. Do not move the lamb around, we want a nice browning of the skin to happen here
- Remove lamb from heal and set aside in baking dish
Sweet Potato and Fennel
- Peel both sweet potatoes and cut into wedges of your desired size
- Wash and slice fennel bulbs
- Lay sweet potatoes and one sliced fennel on baking tray with parchment paper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
For the oven
- Wash and peel carrots and roughly chop
- Place remaining sliced fennel in baking dish with lamb. Arrange evenly. Add carrots, 2 cloves chopped garlic, sprig of rosemary and some dried oregano if desired. Sprinkle salt on veggies (not lamb). Drizzle with a bit more olive oil all around.
- Place baking dish of lamd and veggies on top rack. Place baking tray of sweet potato and fennel on lower. Bake for 30 mintues at 370.
- When 15 mintues are left on the oven, take out greens and wash thoroughly
- Heat cast iron pan, same one from before with the fat drippings from the lamb.
- Finely chop remaining 2 cloves of garlic
- Chop greens and put into cast iron pan
- Toss the greens and cover for 3-5 mintues. Do not overcook.
- Remove lid, toss and let any water evaporate
- Remove from heat set aside
When Baking Time is Up
- Remove both trays from over. Let lamb rest for 10 minutes before carving
- Arrange plates of roasted lamb, sweet potato, fennel, sauteed greens and carrot. Enjoy!